I'm new here
Welcome to St Albans! We're very glad to have you with us. If you'd like to become part of the family there are a number of ways to get to know us better.
We run an Alpha course which is a perfect place to bring your questions about life and the Christian faith, or to have a refresher as well as meet new people and get to know others in the church. To find out about our latest course, click here.
Join a Team
We want you to feel that you belong and know you have a part to play in the life of St Albans. We are looking for all kinds of help and our teams are listed below
- Sidesperson - Our team of sidespeople takes the lead in welcoming the
congregation to our services, greeting newcomers and helping people connect to
- Readers - Our first bible reading is usually taken from the New
Testament, and we have a large team who take their turn on the rota. Training
can be provided if you have never read in church before.
- Intercessions - At each Sunday Service our prayers for the Church and the World
are led by lay people. We have more information about how to lead prayers here,
and training can be provided.
- Audiovisual Team - Our Audiovisual volunteers help run the video and sound desk
at our Sunday services and at other events and services through the year. Training
will be provided.
- Choir - If you or your children enjoy singing, do get in touch. Our
choir rehearses on Monday evenings.
- Musicians - If you can play a musical instrument, we would like to hear
from you as we are introducing more informal music at our All-Age service and
we also have youth-led services from time to time.
- Children - We are looking for volunteers to help run our monthly Messy Church, our Wednesday Parent and Toddler group and our Sunday
School. To join the team, we look
for 2 satisfactory references and a DBS check.
- Youth - We are looking for people who have a heart for young people
and are committed to helping at our Saturday evening youth club, Passport, our
Wednesday afternoon Games on the Green and to coming along to our 10am Sunday
Service and building relationships with our young people. Please note that to
join the team we must have 2 satisfactory references and a DBS check.
- Flowers - We are always happy to welcome newcomers to our talented
team of flower arrangers.
- Bells - We are looking for people with musical ability to learn how
to ring our Carillon of bells.
- Sunday Coffee - Our Sunday coffee team prepare and serve the coffee and (usually)
biscuits after the service in the hall. You will be asked to arrive before the
service to help prepare food and drinks. No cooking ability is required.
- Car Rota - we have a number of local people who need a lift to come to church on Sundays.
- Catering - We need people to help prepare breakfast before our All-Age service, soup and sandwiches following our midweek Eucharist and prepare food for our drop-in Cafe. All of these take place once a month.
- Sanctuary Guild - We have a wonderful team of people who clean the church each
week and make it look beautiful for worship. Do join them!
- Wednesday Drop-In Café 10.30-12noon - We are looking for people to help welcome our guests as well
as set up and run the café on the first Wednesday of each month.
- Open Church - We would love to hear from anyone who is happy to be
available in church on Monday and Thursday afternoons between 2 and 4pm when we
open for private prayer.
- Pastoral Care - we are glad to welcome caring people to join our team of Bereavement Visitors and those who visit the housebound. Please note that to join the team we must have 2 satisfactory references and a DBS check.
- Photography - We are looking for talented photographers to cover key events and
Sunday services at St Albans. We are looking for skilled photographers, who can
provide their own equipment.
- Servicesheet Draft Production - We need people willing to help put the first draft of our
newsletter together each week, to pass on to Shirley Clements, our
administrator for her to complete.
- Social Media - Get involved in producing Social Media Posts using our
Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Other - do let us know if you have particular skills to offer that aren't listed here!
You can join our team by completing the form below, which will also add you to our database. If you have a smartphone you can also download our church app.
Daily Prayer and Midweek Eucharist
We meet each day for prayer on Zoom at 8.30am and there is a smaller midweek service of Holy Communion each week where it's easier to get to know people. Just ask Shirley Clements, our parish administrator for the Zoom link, or subscribe to our newsletter.